19 Apr 2023
Residents who live between Trehafod and Treherbert railway stations can pick up a railcard offering a 50% discount on TfW services on the Treherbert line while a major part of the South Wales Metro is being built.
Transport for Wales (TfW) is continuing to move forward with building the South Wales Metro and from 29 April 2023 until February 2024, the railway will be closing between Pontypridd to Treherbert as part of the Treherbert Line Transformation.
During this period, an enhanced rail replacement bus service will be running to provide essential travel links and all customers who live between Treherbert and Trehafod can collect or request a special Rhondda Rail card, which will give them 50% off travel on that line during the disruption.
For information on how to obtain a Rhondda Railcards please go online and visit Rhondda Railcard | Transport for Wales (tfw.wales). The railcards are not valid and cannot be used until 29 April 2023.
Transport for Wales have also launched two additional promotional ticket offers for all rail customers across the Wales and Borders network. The Multiflex ticket offer is 12 tickets for the price of 6 and there is 50% off advanced tickets for journeys over 50 miles. Both offers were launched today and more information is available at the TfW website.
Marie Daly, Chief Customer and Culture Officer said: “We are continually progressing with the South Wales Metro and while it’s being built we need to close sections of the railway.
“The work on the Treherbert line is one of our biggest programmes of work to date and will include a 10-month closure.
“We understand that this impacts our customers and for that reason we’re offering a railcard for residents living between Treherbert and Trehafod providing a 50% discount on travel on the Treherbert line. Both offers launch today and more information is available on the TfW website.
“We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience, but once we’ve completed this work and delivered the South Wales Metro, transport will be transformed within South East Wales offering turn up and go services on brand-new tram trains that will provide more capacity, more frequent and greener services.
“Please visit our website for further information.”
Notes to editors
- This Rhondda Railcard provides 50% off Standard Class Fares on Transport for Wales services on journeys from stations including and between Treherbert and Trehafod.
- Users must have origin stations between and including Treherbert and Trehafod, and may be asked to provide proof of address to validate tickets.
- The railcard is valid until the end of February 2024 from the date issued and can only be used on Transport for Wales’ services on local routes.
- The railcard applies for journeys wholly on the Treherbert line and journeys between stations on the line and locations through to Cardiff Central. Not valid for journeys from stations outside of the Treherbert and Trehafod route area.
- All tickets are issued according to the National Rail Conditions of Travel and are non-transferable.
- Lost or damaged railcards cannot be replaced.
- The railcard is not valid unless it has been signed by the holder, nor is it transferable to anyone else. Tickets bought with a railcard are for use by the railcard holder only.
- The railcard does not become your property and if requested must be handed in to Transport for Wales.
- Information on TfW Multiflex and Advanced Ticket promotions can be found at: